CREATE YOUR SPRING 2017 CAPSULE WARDROBE - geared to the Hudson Valley woman
As the warmer weather approaches (we hope sooner than later!) we begin to start thinking about our wardrobes in search of something new and fresh to wear. Establishing a capsule wardrobe is a great way to assess what you do and don’t wear, streamline your closet and save both time and money. Before we go any further, you may be wondering what exactly is a capsule wardrobe? A capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing made up of versatile pieces that you completely love to wear. The key is that you need to buy for YOUR lifestyle and YOUR own personal style.
We believe that the average capsule wardrobe includes 20-30 pieces per season, four times a year. Some pieces will transition season after season, while some will be exclusive to only one season. You will also find yourself replacing items like layering tanks and tees more often while outerwear styles last year after year. Investing in great fitting styles will help you replace these items less and love them more as the years pass.
Here’s an easy checklist that includes all lifestyles and personal styles.
Whether you work a 9-5, stay at home with the kids or have an on-the go lifestyle, keep reading. If you’re trendy, edgy, classic, feminine, and anything in between, this list has it all.
CAPSULE WARDROBE BASE
RECOMMENDED FOR ALL
NEUTRAL COLORS ONLY (SEE COLOR LIST BELOW)
- layering tanks – 2:1 ratio of white or black based on your preference
- tanks – can be worn alone (need more substantial fabric) – choose 2
- short sleeve tees – choose 3
- chambray shirt
- white button up
- cardigan – short or long depending on your body type – choose 2 – light and a dark neutral
- pullover sweaters – classic or oversized - choose 2
- little black dress – can be worn to a variety of functions and dressed up with jewelry
- t-shirt dress - choose 1
- 1 skirt – any style in black or denim & only recommended for women who wear skirts
OUTERWEAR: we recommend choosing 3-4 outerwear pieces because this pulls your entire look together.
- moto jacket – knit, linen, vegan leather – any color
- black blazer – classic or boyfriend
- trench coat
- rain jacket
DENIM: (1 of each recommended OR 4 total)
- dark wash skinny, straight, or boot cut
- medium or light wash skinny, straight, or boot cut
- black wash skinny, straight, or boot cut
- white wash skinny, straight or boot cut
- black pant (ankle, trouser or style of your choice)
- black legging (Ponte fabric is recommended because its more substantial and good for all ages)
NEUTRAL COLORS LIST:
Black, white, grey, beige, cream, olive, navy
CAPSULE WARDROBE ADDITIONS
NOVELTY PIECES ONLY
QUANTITES WILL VARY BASED ON PERSONAL LIFESTYLE
Basic styles in color or tees with details in any color or prints
*can also include band tees for the music gal
Styles- blouses, button ups, tunics,
- printed or any non neutral color
- all styles included - printed or any non neutral color
- trend jacket (ex. bomber jackets, soft moto)
- relaxed boyfriend – distressed or non-distressed
- 1 trend style – ex. step hem, released hem, raw edge, patchwork, flare
NOTE: can be any denim wash including black or white
- ankle or trouser pant – bold prints, textured, pops of color or other neutral colors
- trend leggings – printed, mesh, cut out details, pops of color or other neutral colors
- chinos – any style or color
Below you'll find some great looks we've created incorporating trends for your capsule wardrobe!
Printed dresses can be a fun way to add some color to your closet. Wear to work or any upcoming occasion with a cardigan, blazer or denim jacket. Add wedges (as shown) heels, flats to finish off the look!
We love white jeans! So crisp, clean and classic, the white jean is a Spring must have. Dress them up with a flowy blouse or collared shirt for a classic look, then switch to a casual style with an easy tee or tank.
The pieces in this outfit all go a long way on their own paths. Paired together, they create an updated look that is functional and comfortable. Separately, you can do anything! Pair the white denim jacket over a t-shirt dress and hurry out the door. The raw edge hem jean is a subtle way to stay up date, add a cold-shoulder top and slip-on sneakers to be on trend. The sleeveless striped blouse pairs beautifully with a pair of trousers or a skirt for an easy work outfit.
Easy Tees with novelty style like this peplum tee pair well with your favorite denim, comfortable sneakers & simple accessories for an on the go look!
This easy to wear floral dress is extremely versatile and fun! Wear her to work with a long cardigan or blazer. Take her to a bridal or baby shower with cute flats and a denim jacket. Slide into your slip-on sneakers and wear her on the weekend. You could even wear her layered over a t-shirt dress for a fun layered look!
You may run the other way when you see a printed pant, but we love a great style that is easy to wear different ways. We paired this dotted pant with a bold pattern top (perfect for the woman who loves to standout or favors fun looks), versatile gold statement accessories and a scarf for a pop of color. This look can be worn to work or to any upcoming function! Not into standing out? Pair these pants with your favorite white tee, a denim jacket, flats or sneakers and you’ve a paired down everyday look!
Neutral sweaters can be timeless additions to any women’s wardrobe. This sweater can be worn either with the v-neck in the front or the scoop in the back! Pair with your favorite jeans, sandals or slip on sneakers for easy weekend style or pair with black ankle pants for a 9-5 look! Add some pretty pastel Spring accessories to amp up the look.
Updated chinos with a twist (we love a raw edge) paired with a basic tee in a Spring color and our versatile rain resistant jacket makes for the perfect Spring look! Pair this look with your favorite sneakers for your running errands look (a blanket scarf can help keep you cozy during cool Spring temps)!
Plaid woven button-ups are lighter weight and perfect for Spring! We love them paired with your favorite denim and longer versions can be worn with leggings. This look mixed with simple accessories and your favorite sneakers can be worn casually any day of the week. Tip: We love a plaid shirt unbuttoned and worn over your favorite t-shirt dress!